Early Head Start/Head Start Application Process
Children’s Friend provides both Early Head Start and Head Start services, both of which are federally funded programs that offer high-quality early education and family programming at no cost to eligible families. Your child or children may be eligible if your family resides in Providence, Pawtucket, or Central Falls and fits into one or more of the following eligibility categories:
- Low income
- Public assistance
- Temporary or chronic homelessness
- Foster or kinship care
- DCYF involved
To read more about the eligibility categories, please click the link here.
*Please note: you do NOT need to apply more than once. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. If you submit an online application, you do not need to call one of our centers, and vice versa.
Once your application has been received and reviewed, a member of our enrollment team will contact you and schedule an application appointment to review the necessary documentation. Please begin to prepare the following documents ahead of your application appointment:
- Proof of income (ex. Last 4 paystubs, SSI Award letter, RI Works, SNAP)
- Proof of child’s age (ex. Birth certificate, court documents, etc)
- Proof of address (ex. Utility bill, lease agreement)
- Child’s most recent physical
- Child’s immunization record, including lead screen/hemoglobin
- Child’s dental record/most recent screening (if applicable)
- Child’s social security card
- Most recent IEP/IFSP (if applicable for child)
- Medical insurance cards/information
- Parent/family member identification (ID)
We understand that gathering documents may take time or may cause hardship to the family. Please reach out to us if you have any trouble gathering documents.
We recognize these documents also contain private and sensitive information. All staff are trained to handle documents with confidentiality and care in mind. Copies of all documents will be made and originals will be returned to you.
Questions about the application or application process can be directed to HeadStart@cfsri.org or via phone call to one of our centers.